Sunday, April 5, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire (film) directed by Danny Boyle



I am not one to ruffle feathers unnecessarily, but I have to come out and say something honestly. I did not enjoy Slumdog Millionaire. Before the majority of the world rains curses upon me, and the pile of awards obscure my speech (8 Oscars, 4 Golden Globes, 5 Critic’s Choice and seven BAFTA) I would like to qualify a few things: I liked the child actors, they were undoubtedly amazing. The adult actors, on the other hand, outside of the Dev Patel’s portrayal as the lead character, were pretty terrible and over-acting abounded. There was absolutely no chemistry between the two lovers, and when they finally kissed, I wanted to look away rather then revel in the cinematic climax.

Despite all this, I understand the film’s appeal. It’s gritty, well shot, and extremely fast-paced. The soundtrack is killer. Shot on location in India, the scenery is spectacular. I don’t need to recommend the movie, as everyone has perhaps already seen it. But for anyone who wants to see a fairy tale disguised as something more, see this movie.

2 stars

No comments: