Sunday, April 6, 2008

Charlotte’s Web by Paramount Home Video, c1993.


Based on the novel by E.B. White
Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.,
[and] Sagittarius Productions, Inc., 1972.
Animated
94 min.
Video

“Why are you trembling?” “I’m trembling with the joy of life.” Only after enduring an entire hour and a half of this movie’s persistent and unmistakably pointed message (aka LIFE IS WONDERFUL) will this final conversation between Wilbur and one of Charlotte’s spiderlings not irk you. By then your resistance against teeth-bared optimism will have been completely subsided, so much so that you might even consider getting the phrases printed on a t-shirt. Although I was a huge fan of this book when I was a child, perhaps my adult life has not been sufficient enough in wonder in order to enjoy the movie adaptation, however pretty the animation. Or perhaps I couldn’t get over the cognitive dissonance from hearing sonorous adult voices emerging from the mouths of cute young animals. Or perhaps I simply could not stand the boring songs that came way too often and lasted way too long. All right for children too young to get sarcasm (5-7). ***

No comments: