Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Wrinkle in Time [talking book] by Madeline L’Engle


Listening Library
Available on Overdrive
328 minutes
Audiobook

While joyously contesting to the pleasures of being read to is something that I never tire, until I heard Madeline’s sweetly soothing soprano--with just the sparsest sprinkling of a lisp, I was completely unaware of exactly how comforting it could be. Like retreating under the warmest winter duvet, L’Engle’s voice and story lured me into a state of absolute stillness from which I did not care to emerge from until the last word of the last line of the last paragraph was read. An absolutely enchanting story about social outcasts, space travel, and fighting evil which works beautifully as an audio recording for the simple reason that it allows that much less attachment to reality. Best for children over the age of 10. *****

No comments: